Available from DC BooksList of Titles
Poetry by Jason Camlot
The Animal Library
To order right away using your credit card, click below on Buy Now.
For other payment methods, complete order form below...
Many Payment Options!
Option 1 – Right away, on the web, to a secure site
1. Press the BUY NOW button above.
2. This connects you with Paypal.
Option 2 – On-Line Bookstores
1. Just fill out the fields below, and press SUBMIT.
2. You'll get a prompt acknowledgement of your order, confirming your total price.
3. Then print this page, and enclose your check or money order.
4. Mail to: DC Books, 5 Fenwick Avenue, Montreal West, QC, H4X 1P3 Canada
5. Made an error on SUBMIT? No problem. Just fill out the form again with the correct information, press the CORRECTION button below, then press SUBMIT again.
The Animal Library
The Animal Library marks the debut of a remarkable poet a poet of the flesh, his own and that of the animals he has lived with all his life, whether real or imaginary. Jason Camlots father was a furrier and he grew up in a world where, inevitably, baby fur gets in your eyes or in your mouth. In dreams, the poet becomes a whale corpse washed up/ on a very pale beach/ and hundreds of flies came,/ and people,/ to see the tusk,/ spun like coral glass. And as the boy grows up, images, at once curiously literal and yet surreal images of being devoured or skinned alive stay with him. The beauty of this collection is one of the mot juste, a concreteness and precision, coupled with a superb sense of rhythm.
...Camlot’s graphic exactness adds to the power of his vivid, animated images.
...Camlot’s style is rich and telling, taking us from smutty Chicago to ancient Greece, from the 19th century Decadents to modern biological polemics.
“These poems are satisfyingly grisly and ornate, and funny in the sinister way that dreams are sometimes funny… Toe-curlingly delightful.”
– Broken Pencil
— Rampike Magazine
“Rich in ideas and wit…unique and prodigious in its imagery.”
–Books in Canada
Author Jason Camlot
Jason Camlot is a Montreal-born poet and scholar. His first collection of poems, The Animal Library (DC Books, 2000) was nominated for the Quebec Writer’s Federation A.M. Klein Prize for Poetry. He has published a chapbook with illustrations by Canadian artist Betty Goodwin entitled, Lines Crossed Out (Delirium Press, 2005). Attention All Typewriters (DC Books, 2005) is his second collection of poems. He is a Professor of English at Concordia University in Montreal.
The Animal Library, Jason Camlot, 111 pp., 6 x 9, Poetry, November, 2000
ISBN: 978-0-919688-62-9 (paper) . . . $13.95
ISBN: 978-0-919688-64-3 (Bound*) . . . $26.95
* This book is “perfect bound” with an add-on hand bound cover, no dust jacket.
List prices above do NOT include applicable taxes. Offer prices on the left DO!